[gothic-l] Beowolf--the Goth?

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Sat Jan 13 01:19:22 UTC 2001

Thank you Frank,

 I notice that none of these suggestions involve any Gothic
leadership,
which in a way is surprising, given the fact that this southern
outpost of Frisian territory was surrounded by Franks but, most of
all, no farther away than Normandy were the Visigoths in their
kingdom (or was it Svagrius?).

Anyway, the troops were Danes, agreed, and Beowolf had reason to
get there with his kin to avenge the killing of Hygelac (and took
a brave swim home with a backpack of some dozen chainmail if I
remember this right..) so I understand why this Gaetic leadership
seems far flung to interprete as Gothic.

 I brought this up after having found an Internet page questioning
any Scandinavian ties whatsoever with Beowulf. One thing was
interesting; The same people found support for this from their
failure to find any Scandinavian name like Beowulf. However, it
didn't take me long to find the name Baulf on a rune stone
inscription. Ba- does sound very like Beo- and -ulf is -wulf
undoubtedly (compare Ulfila--Wulfila e. g.).

I'd love to have anything more on this, i. e. your other
"possibility.."

Best,

Sig