[gothic-l] Beowolf--the Goth?

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sat Jan 13 15:36:11 UTC 2001

> I brought this up after having found an Internet page questioning
>any Scandinavian ties whatsoever with Beowulf. One thing was
>interesting; The same people found support for this from their
>failure to find any Scandinavian name like Beowulf.

In Norway we have "Berulf" which is quite common.
Also "Bergulfr", "Bjorgulfr"  (Thulur).
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
"Bjolfr" (Bjúfr, Bjúgr, Bjúg)
(The various forms are quoted from the ON dictionary)

>However, it
>didn't take me long to find the name Baulf on a rune stone
>inscription. Ba- does sound very like Beo- and -ulf is -wulf
>undoubtedly (compare Ulfila--Wulfila e. g.).

>> Also, their name is mentioned in conjunction with "Weder," either as a
>> compound or as another name, ie. "Weder-Geatas," or "Wederas."  Many
>> translations (Crossley-Holland, Raffel,) gloss this as an epithet- the
>> "Weather Geats," the "Storm-Loving Geats."  Chickering, however, leaves it
>> as it is, and Chambers I think (a century ago!) suggested that this was the
>> lake in South Sweden, the Wetter.

I think it is spelled Vätteren.

>> The Scylfingas, the Geats' Swedish opponents, correspond roughly to the
>> Ynglingas in the later "Ynglingasaga," "Hrolfssaga Kraka," and _Gesta
>> Danorum_.  Eadgils corresponds to Adhisl, Onela to Ali, etc.  All of these
>> kings are linked to Uppsala in these sources.

And Atle = Adils = Attila, who is however not a Hun,
but a king from northern Germany (Doest). See the WILKINA SAGA,
which should always be taken into account as supplement to
the Icelandic sources, because the WILKINA SAGA is based upon
sources from Northern Germany and came to Norway/Sweden, where it was
written down, via Denmark.

>> Gregory of Tours calls Hygelac a Dane.  That has been explained as a generic
>> term for all Scandinavians.  Now, that is true, in Anglo-Saxon sources
>> nearly a half-millenium later, but I have been unable to find any uses
>> contemporary to Gregory.  The Frankish sources of the same period as the AS
>> use the term "Normanni," the Northmen.

Old Norse: Hugleikr,

today: HUGLEIK