[gothic-l] Re: Beowolf--the Goth?

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sat Jan 13 20:34:54 UTC 2001

I am not able to participate in this discussion now as I am leaving
for a week, but I need to comment Albareik's quotation of my
homepage http://www.geocities.com/troels_brandt/heruls.html
 which could be misunderstood.

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> Also it might be noted that Hrothgar's nephew Hrothwulf (Hrolf
Krake) has
> been identified as King Roduulf of the Heruli.  The reference, is, I
> believe, to be found in the Troels Brandt's article "Hypothesis of
the
> Heruls."  If this is true, what does that say about the origin of
the
> Scyldings?  If the line of descent could be considered accurate,
(which may
> be doubtful), that might place the origin of Scyld Scefing in the
Tanais
> region.  Could the story of Beowulf be of east Germanic origin?
All of the
> main east Germanic heroes are at least mentioned in Beowulf.  If
so, it
> could have been brought to Scandinavia in the remigration of the
Heruls.

Actually the first sentence is only a reference to Niels Lukman, who
claimed the Danish king Rolf Krake never existed. He claimed the
legends of Rolf Krake to be copies of the legends of the Herulian
king Roduulf living in Pannonia around 500 AD. This is not my opinion
if you read my homepage "The Heruls" – although a few
legends
following the Heruls of Procopios might be mixed up by later
chroniclers. Rolf  was very early mentioned in Widsith as a Danish
king together with his uncle Hrodgar (Roar), and the "Style
II" and the boar crests of helmets found in boat graves both in
the
Uppsala-region of Sweden and Mercia/East Anglia indicate together
with the Beowulf poem a connection between this English region and
Scandinavia in the 6th and 7th century – maybe because of kinship
between the dynasties.

I regard the poem of Beowulf to be independent fragments of
Scandinavian history and certain events from the Channel Region
framing the fairytale of the hero Beowulf. He is not mentioned
anywhere else and the only role of this mythical hero is to kill
dragoons. Does this connecting link sound historical?

Chochillaicus was obviously a historical person who got his history
incorporated in Beowulf as Hugleik, but this does not necessarily
mean he is connected to the other historical persons in the poem. In
poems like Widsith the key figure is also meeting historical persons
never connected at all and living in different times.

Please notice that the necklace of Hugleik (probably a symbol of
royalty) in Beowolf was connected to the Ostrogothic king Ermanaric
living in the Black Sea region in the 4th century, where he defeated
the Herulian king Alaric.

Chocillaicus might as example be a Western Herul, a Visigothic
chieftain migrating after the defeat in Southern France in 507 or a
chieftain from one of the "Danish" tribes joining the invasion of
England - and we do not know if he lived in England, Frisia or
Denmark. Often later chroniclers had difficulties separating the
origin of the attacking Germanic people of Northern Europe.

Could the name Beowulf - the mythical hero - be a combination of bear
and wulf?

My "Hypotheses of the Heruls" - including the line from Pannonia to
Scandinavia - is not dependent of connections between England and
Scandinavia.

Troels Brandt