[gothic-l] Normandy and the Visigoths

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Jan 15 00:36:59 UTC 2001

On 13 Jan 2001, at 2:19, sig wrote:

> Thank you Frank,
>
>  I notice that none of these suggestions involve any Gothic
> leadership,
> which in a way is surprising, given the fact that this southern
> outpost of Frisian territory was surrounded by Franks but, most of
> all, no farther away than Normandy were the Visigoths in their
> kingdom (or was it Svagrius?).

Sorry to disappoint you, but Normandy never was part of the
Visigothic kingdom. Nominally it may have been part of the realm of
Syagrius (a Roman, therefore not Svagrius), afterwards under the
suzerainty of Clovis.
Regards
          Andreas Schwarcz
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich