[gothic-l] Re: Beowolf--the Goth?

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Mon Jan 15 14:36:18 UTC 2001

Re Beowulf,

 The super-sceptics at
http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/plus/beowulf.html
make big noice about this name as being invented without cognates
in the Scandinavian sphere.

 However, in the runic database I found this name on a rune stone:
Baulf.
As for the Ba- part, it's shredding as much (or meagre) light on
its meaning as Beo- but very unlikely bee- (Swe. 'bi', as
suggested by Phil).

 As for the -ulf part there is no reason to seek any other meaning
than -wulf/wolf (the ortographic problem is the same as that for
Wulfila vs Ulfila).

 Keth has already given several Norwegian name cognates:
> In Norway we have "Berulf" which is quite common.
> Also "Bergulfr", "Bjorgulfr"  (Thulur).
> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
> "Bjolfr" (Bjúfr, Bjúgr, Bjúg)
> (The various forms are quoted from the ON dictionary)

Respectfully,

Seigmund