[gothic-l] Re: Germanic and Lappish

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 17 11:21:20 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, sig <sigmund at a...> wrote:
> Hello Dirk,
>
>  I wonder why you sent this to me? What has it to do with this
> "Lappish"/ Saami thread? I have never been into any discussion
> about any "origin" of the Germanic languages. You should know I am
> a non-origoist.
>
> Sig

Hi Sig,

I am also a non-origoist, but the paper analysis how and when Germanic
languages have replaced Saami (Finno-Uralic) on the Scandinavian
peninusla. Thus making it interesting for the 'Saami/Lappish' thread.
 But I agree the title 'Origin of the ...' is somewhat off-putting for
us non-origoist. Actually, I think the author is also a
'non-origoist'.

Also, it contains some notes about Gothic, making it relevant for this
list in general.

cheers
Dirk

> > > Either way, but now we are talking about events within the last
> > > 3000 years "only". Now, re-read your own question against the
> > > background I provided above:
> >
> > Hello Sig,
> >
> > the following link takes you to a recent paper on the "Origin of
the
> > Scandinavian Languages" from the linguistics department at the
> > University of Stockholm.
> >
> > http://www.ling.su.se/staff/oesten/papers/Theorigin.pdf
> >
> > Basically, the author argues that Germanic languages did not
develop
> > on the Scandinavian peninsula at all. The author concludes that:
> >
> >  "...the most probable scenario for the origin of the Scandinavian
> > languages: Germanic-speaking groups arrived to the western-most
corner
> > of the Baltic (present-day Gemany and Denmark) somewhat before the
> > beginnign of out era. A little later they expanded eastwards as
far as
> > Uppland on the north side and the Vistula estuary on the souht
side of
> > the Baltic."
> >
> > The article also contains some remarks about gothic, making it
perhaps
> > relevant for others on the list as well.
> >
> > cheers

Lappish

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.