[gothic-l] Re: Germanic and Lappish / Saami

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Wed Jan 17 15:05:02 UTC 2001

Hi Anthony,

> > Dear MCLSSAA2 at f..., (please, sign next time so we
> > don't have to discuss with an e-mail address :^))

> I am not always master of what I am called in message headers.

You don't sign in the header. But I humbly recommend you to sign
at the conclusion of every message. That way one doesn't have to
start with
"Dear MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk". See? Friendly pun intended ;)

> > ethnic appelative Lappish is not *politically correct*..(lapp in
> > Swedish means i. a. patch).
> I am sorry if I caused offense. How objectionable is the word "Lapp"
> in Scandinavia?

 No umbrage taken. "Lapp" in itself may not be that bad. It's
their own feeling of having been looked down upon, trodden upon,
bestolen their land etc so the connotion going with "lapp" is
negative through "bad press" for centuries. They have truly been
shamefully treated over the last 3-4 hundred years.

> > Use Saami (or Sami). ...

> As long as readers across the world know what the name means.

It's a life-long learning, isn't it?

> If Saami-type archaeology has been found as far south as Hamburg,

 You fell in the trap, Anthony. What this program stated initially
is this:
They may be Saami (Swe. Samer) now, but what their ancestors were
millennia ago we don't know anything about. Those finds in the
Hamburg area were of course "paleolitic+neolithic" and nothing
else. The archeologists see a continuity of cultural expression
from Hamburg to Nordkap of to-day. From the Hamburg area there was
a rather rapid settlement of the coast-line of Norway, that pretty
early on was ice-free. At the same time the colonisation occurred
from east along the northern shores of the Ice Sea. Around 9000
years ago the last ice-bridge melted away and the eastern
colonists met the western ones in the extreme north and merged.
 Next stage was that the ice sheet overlying the north-south
montaneous region
between Norway and Sweden broke up and migrants from the Norwegian
coast moved across the Scandinavian peninsula over to the Swedish
east coast. They left on a small island of the Ångermanälven river
some 800 rather stereotype stone carvings outlining a moose. These
latter saami became the South Saamis with a distinctly own dialect
and culture, still visible to-day.

> Finno-Ugrian languages could have been spoken in all of Denmark and
> parts of German Schlewsig-Holstein, and its speakers there would have
> changed from tundra nomadism to a more settled and thicker populated
> life mode as the climate there became better as the ice cap retreated.

 Why not. I can imagine that. South Sweden formed an island early
on and the Lake Vättern was at one time a fjord--whale bones are
found here! (I can see the south tip of Lake Vättern from my home
turf).

> Then, Indo-European could have overridden Finno-Ugrian and developed
> into Germanic in the Hamburg area, not necessarily in Scandinavia.

 Or the Finno-Ugrian could have been overrun by any other language
before the Germanics. It's a large time-span.

> That is, Germanic may have started as Indo-European spoken with a
> Schleswig Finno-Ugrian accent, in the same sort of way as the
> characteristic phonetic fatures of Common Romance may have started as
> Latin spoken with an Osco-Umbrian accent.

 I dare not have any opinion other than such things having to be
matters of conjecture in the absence of linguistic material.

Signed (with a twinkle :^))

Sig
Non-origoist ("Ai'nt we all bastids")