SV: [gothic-l] Proto-Nordic

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Wed Jan 17 23:25:26 UTC 2001

Hello Anders,

 PC is "politically correct". However, come halfway through, I
find Östen Dahl not that bad at all (nice review, good referrals).
Interesting views on earliest Germanic groups and their relation
and separation from the Gothic language.

 It seems that most agree on the Gothic having separated long
before this disputed common Germanic group, which on the time-line
coincides with the common era and is represented in Scandinavia by
a paucity of Futhark24 inscriptions (in all approx. 500 letters);
one group of movable objects (lances, brooches), one group of gold
bracteats and a third and later group written in stone. There is a
heavy concentration of the first two groups on Danish territory of
those days and most of the latter on former Norwegian territory
(Bohuslän, Sweden, since 17th century).

Welcome here Anders!

Seigmund

Sig