[gothic-l] Beowulf and the Geats

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Sat Jan 20 21:38:56 UTC 2001

This is not true about Ecgtheow, who married the sister of Hygelac, king of
the Geats.  And regardless of speculation on the names Geat/Gaut and Goths,
I am not convinced, nor are many other people, that they refer to the same
people.  Also what Beowulf King of the Danes are you referring to? And what
would he have to do with the fictitious Beowulf the Geat in the poem?

Le's statement in another post that myth is based on history is also false.

Philip Rusche

> Beowulf's father Ecgtheow is called A noble leader prince of his people.
So