[gothic-l] Re: Beowulf and the Geats

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sun Jan 21 01:34:32 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Philip Rusche" <ruschep at n...> wrote:
 And regardless of speculation on the names Geat/Gaut and
Goths,> I am not convinced, nor are many other people, that they refer
to the same> people.

> Philip Rusche

Philip,

To say Goths, Geats, Gutar and Ýtas (Jutes) all mean Goths does not
imply that they belong to the same people. Try to understand there
probably were several peoples regarding themselves as Goths - several
Gothic peoples. This is the new interpretation I have come up to in my
book showing that the unifying factor was the common ancestry from
Gaut - a religious unity and not a political. The Vistula Goths merely
was one of the Gothic peoples with close connections to the others and
having originated from all of them.

Kindly
Ingemar