[gothic-l] Beowulf and the Geats

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jan 21 10:45:05 UTC 2001

Philip,

There is of course reason to treat Beowulf on this
list as he might well have been Geatic/Gothic.
But I think you are correct. The connections
between the personalities in the poem are
mainly Danish/Jutish. There is plainly no
relation to East Germanic.

I guess the dating of Beowulf has always been
up for discussion. The latest translation is by the
Northern Irish poet Seamus Heaney (1939 -      ).
He is a great admirer of ancient Denmark.
Am thinking of for instance the poem "The
Tollund Man" beginnig with the strophes:

Some day I will go to Aarhus
to see his peat-brown head.
The mild pods of his eye-lids,
His pointed skin cap.