[gothic-l] Re: Runic Influences

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 22 13:14:44 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> Bertil,
> Here follows an extract from "Origin of Svear"
>

> "Another interesting note in Prokopios is that after the
capitulation at
> Vesuvius, that in 552 ended the Ostrogotic power in Italy, the Goths
that
> so wished were allowed to stay as peaceful farmers in Italy. As
Prokopios
> uses the word Goth about all before this time in Italy living
Germanic
> people, the above note refers probably to those who already before
the
> arrival of the Ostrogoths had received the "Herulian lots". Another
part of
> the Goths - and here he probably means the Ostrogoths, that is those
who
> had been responsible for the deposed rule - did not want to stay.
They left
> Italy and we don't know where they went.
> However, it is very possible that those Goths went to England where
the
> finds in the graves at Sutton Hoo should remind us of them. In the
Beowulf
> poem, considered written down i England in the 8th century, the
Gutar are
> called "Getae" and the Gothic history "Getica". This could explain
the link
> between the Gutar and Sutton Hoo. Probably the Gutar continue their
earlier
> connections with their cousins the Ostrogoths. In the grave
chamber's
> eastern part were found a long row of domestic vessels inter alia
two bowed
> bronze vessels of the Gotlandic type with a flat unfolded front edge
and
> twisted iron handles. Swords and cultural artifacts that have been
> manufactured in Gotlandic workshops during that time, can be found
in
> several Gotlandic graves, are closely related to corresponding
English art.
> Professor Sune Lindqvist says: "It is obvious that the comparison
between
> the grave findings from Sutton Hoo and the contents of the Beowulf
poem was
> well justified and contains great possibilities. It is obvious that
those
> two documents in a splendid way complete each other. Both win in
clearness
> when compared."
> To support the idea of Ostrogotic involvement in Sutton Hoo a very
large
> silver pan was found. There are two countermarks on the base of the
> silverpan from the time of Caesar Anastasius. He ruled over the
Eastern
> Empire between the years 491 and 518 i.e. when the Ostrogoths ruled
Italy.
> The pan was accordingly already an antiquity when it was placed in
the
> grave in East Anglia."
> Tore

Hello Tore,

I think the author of the above text from 'origin of Svear' is in
danger of over interpreting archaeological finds. The fact that
Ostrogothic/Italian artefacts have been found in Anglo-Saxons burrials
does not afford a migration of Ostrogoths to Anglo-Saxon Britain. For
example, metallurgical analysis of bronze implements and weapons found
in very large numbers in South England have shown that the bronze was
in almost all cases mined in the Swiss Alps and not in the much closer
Welsh mountains. However, to explain this observation no migration to
the British isles  was necessary. Finds of ship wrecks dating from
around 1400BC at the British coast showed that these Bronze ingots
were imported as part of a regular trade flow.

Also, their is a great danger of overinterpreting Procopius. Authors
like W. Goffart "Narrators of Barbarian History" and Avril Cameron
"Procopius and the 6th Century" have demonstrated that writers like
Procopius and Jordanes cannot be taken at face value.

Cameron shows that Procopius knew next to nothing about the geography
of Europe even in areas as close to him as the Balkans, let alone knew
he anything about areas north of the Danube. Both authors demonstrated
that Procopius' writing was based on hear-say evidence acquirded from
second and third-handand sources. Most importantly,
Procopius 'tailored' his describtions to make an argument against the
integration of 'barbarians' into the Empire, usually using the Heruls
which he described as particularly 'barbaric' to show that barbarians
should eventually return to Thule/Scandza. Goffard explained that it
was a common Roman believe that all northern barbarians came from
Thule/Scandza, without having a clear concept of where this place was.

Jordandes, on the other hand, arguing for the integration of
'barbarians' into the Empire, said that Goths could not return to
Scythia as it is so crowded with peoples and especially could they not
go to Scandza as it is so repulsive that nobody can live their.  Thus,
both Procopius and Jordanes were interested in arguing a particular
point of view rather than remitting historical facts. And the above
citation from Procopius in your exerpt must probalby be seen in light
of this debate.

Also, the Sutton Hoo burrial also contains items from other places.
Consider for example the 30 or so gold tremisses (gold coins) of
Frankish-Merowingian origin. Each one is from a different Frankish
mint, which is apparently quite unusual to find in one hoard. At any
rate, this confirms some links with the Franks, (trade, gift
exchange, plunder, ransom etc. are possible).

Overall, I think to argue for an Ostrogothic migration to England, it
would require much more compelling evidence.

best regards
Dirk

> >Tore,
> >
> >Could you expand on your highly
> >interesting theories between
> >Gotland and Sutton Hoo. Am certain
> >the list is anxious to know more.
> >
> >Gothically
> >
> >Bertil
> >

> >> There are proven close contacts between your mentioned area and
Gotland at