[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Steve Pollington stevep at SAXNOT.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Jan 23 19:52:37 UTC 2001

> Steve,
>
> England was not a unitary area at that time.
>
> There are proven close contacts between your mentioned area and Gotland at
> that time. i.e. Sutton-Hoo.
> Gotland has among the oldest inscriptions. The Moos inscription from the
> 3rd century and the full alfabeth the FUTARK found at Kylver and dated to
> the end of the 4th century.
> There are accordingly clear influence of Eastgermanic language in the area
> mentioned by you.

Tore

Thanks. It is clear from the archaeology that the east of present day
England was closely linked to southern Scandinavia and this shows itself in
the material culture, right down to brooches and pots.
However I'm not clear what the EGmc linguistic influence was. Assuming the
areas where the early runes are found spoke Anglian (language of the Angles)
and given the presumed origin of that cuture in lower Jutland, it is
possible that there were some traces of EGmc in the Anglian language but its
character is surely predominatly WGmc i.e. only one form for the plural
verb, etc.
I wondered if there is anything specifically EGmc in Anglian or related
dialects? Has anybody published on this topic recently?

Welga
Steve