[gothic-l] Re: Question: Gothic words in non-gothic languages

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 24 15:50:39 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> I have already posted a message on the subject of Gothic loanwords
in
> Bavarian (no. 2225, Jun 21, 2000.
> I send now that information again:

Hello Francisc,

I missed your earlier posting. Thank you very much for posting it
again, that is extremely interesting.

(snip)

> source, but I can not remember now where, I have read something
> similar: after the defeat of the Ostrogoths in Italy, some of their
> remnants migrated northwards and participated in the ethnogenesis of
> the Bavarian people, giving them some words and the legend of
> Theodoric the Great (which became Dietrich von Bern in the German
> mediaeval epic).

I think  Wilfried Menghin   argued along similar lines in
"Frühgeschichte Bayerns:   Römer und Germanen, Baiern und Schwaben,
Franken und Slawen",  Stuttgart   K. Theiss   c1990

Menghin suggested that the increase in the occurance of Ostrogothic
coin hoards and single finds in Bavaria and Alamannia in the mid 6th
century may indicate that parts of the Ostrogoths may have
ventured north to their former allies the Alamanni.

(snip)

One additional word was suggested in Hervig Wolfram's book "Rom und
die Germanen". Wolfram gives the gothic word 'haimothli' meaning
inherited land (home) and the Bavarian word 'hoamotl' for farm stet,
also realted to modern German 'heimat' meaning homeland.

Thanks again for your help

cheers