[gothic-l] Re: gothic traces in the east?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jan 25 11:13:21 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Anthony Appleyard" <MCLSSAA2 at f...>
wrote:

> I thought that:-
>   Albanian was descended from Illyrian rather than Thracian.

There are different opinions on this issue.
The current opinion is that Albanian is descended both from Illyrian
(the kentum-type words) and from Thracian (the satem-type words).
Anyway, it seems to be more Thracian than Illyrian.

>   The Vlachs are descended from Illyrians who were Latinized in
language but
> kept some Illyrian words in such areas as mountain shepherding.

The Vlachs/Romanians are descended from Latinized Thracians
(Dacians and South-Danubian Thracians), not from Illyrans.
The words shared by Romanian and Albanian in such fields as
mountain shepherding are currently considered Thracian, not Illyrian.

>   What is now Rumania was almost completely depopulated by invading
tribes of
> steppe nomads from the east after the Roman Empire broke up, and it
was
> gradually repopulated later by Vlachs, and those became the modern
Rumanians.

The official theory in Romania is that Dacia was not completely
depopulated during the migrations period and that the Romanians
are the descendants of Romanized Dacians. This is the theory of
the so-called "continuity of the Romanians in Dacia", and I repeat
that this is the official point of view in Romania.
But, honestly speaking, there is not much evidence of such a
continuity of a Daco-Roman population in Dacia (today's Romania)during
the migration period.

Francisc

GUTANI WIHAILAG