[gothic-l] Re: gothic traces in the east?

Fritscher cfritsch at SUFFOLK.LIB.NY.US
Fri Jan 26 03:18:23 UTC 2001

There is a connection between the Slavic 'Vlach' and the English
'Welch'.
It is related to the Germanic word for foreign or foreigner.

For example:

'Wealh' is the Old English word meaning foreigner.

The Slavs probably referred to the Romanians as 'foreigners' since they
spoke a non-Slavic language.

-Carl