[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Jan 27 21:41:26 UTC 2001

Bertil,
I took the quote from Professor Sune Lindqvist and when I want to control
it only have the firt 6 books of Prokopius.

However I found another interesing passage from an earlier stage of the
Gothic war:

Procopius
History of the wars Books V-VI.15

VI.vi.26
And the bararians said: "That everything which we have said is true no one
of you can be unaware. But in order that we may not seem to be contentious,
we give up to you Sicily, great as it is and of such wealth, seeing that
without it you cannot possess Libya in security."
And Belisarius replied: "And we on our side permit the Goths to have the
whole of Britain, which is much larger than Sicily and was subject to the
Romans in early times. For it is only fair to make an equal return to those
who first do a good deed or perform a kindness."

Tore

>Tore,
>
>Most interesting. Could you give me a
>reference for that statement of Prokopius.
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil
>

>> Prokopius says the top echelon of the surviving Goths left and we don't
>> know to where.
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
>Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details