[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sun Jan 28 22:04:44 UTC 2001

>Hails!
>
>>And the bararians said: "That everything which we have said is true no one
>>of you can be unaware. But in order that we may not seem to be contentious,
>>we give up to you Sicily, great as it is and of such wealth, seeing that
>>without it you cannot possess Libya in security."
>>And Belisarius replied: "And we on our side permit the Goths to have the
>>whole of Britain, which is much larger than Sicily and was subject to the
>>Romans in early times. For it is only fair to make an equal return to those
>>who first do a good deed or perform a kindness."
>

>Notice that the quote says Britain *was* subject to the Romans "in early
>times."  The Goths had essentially lost Sicily by the time of this exchange,
>and so the Romans also were simply fececiously offering the Goths a
>territory that the Romans themselves no longer posessed.  Therefore, this
>cannot be used to show that the Ostrogoths went to Britain.    Albareiks

You have a point.
However if you look at realities it perhaps is not so strange.

There is a trade route from Ravenna to Britannia. The Goths remember they
were given Britannia by Belisarius even if the Romans already had lost it.

The Goths are defeated in Italy. What remains of the ruling class has
nowhere to go.
Why not try Britannia?
Tore

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups