[gothic-l] "Gutamåul", the language of Gotland.

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Sun Jan 28 17:15:47 UTC 2001

How do you do everybody!
I am back after a long abscence because of a buzy schedule and a new
course. I was going to answer one Troels messages about the heruls
already half a year ago. It never happened, but I will do it soon.
Instead, I have found some interesting links which I would like to
pass on to you. But first I would like to tell what I have heard on
the net. The gotlanders or "gutar" of Gotland have their own local
radioprograms. One of the programs is called "Gutamål", the
language
of the gutonians. The language is believed to have some old features.
Please listen to this for six minutes and make your own opinion. In
the beginning they talk about local variations to say the noun drink.
A kind of ancient dark beer or ale, made on malt?, water, honey and
juniper bush. Later on they are talking about different forms of the
noun eye. They are also mentioning that "drickä" is bent in the
same
way as "augä".

http://www.sr.se/gotland/gutamal/sounds/gotl1700.ram

Transcription:
1.56 "Oskapligt gou´ar drickä" mighty good drink

2.02 "Dricko" drink

3.30 "Det här drickä ir gutt" This drink is good.

4.45 "De her deiki ir kroukue" These ditches are bent

5.05 "som augä" as eye

5.10 "Augä bleir" The eye becomes(in the form of)

5.20 "Augo" eyes

5.27 "Di hera augu" These(the)eyes, "flairä augo" many eyes (more
than).

6.00 "Femininum dricko u dricku äi bestämd form." feminine
(form)drink
(ancient ale)and the drink in definite form.

6.40 "Dricko" drink

http://www.sr.se/gotland/gutamal/sounds/gotl1700.ram

I personally find some similarity in intonation between this way of
talking and castilian spanish, or the language that most spanish of
visigothic descent seems to have.

Håkan Liljeberg formerly Gutwulfs

http://www.expage.com/page/gothicpage/

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups