[gothic-l] Runic Influences

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Mon Jan 29 16:20:41 UTC 2001

In addition to the overland route, in the sixth century (and going back to
much earlier times) there was a very active sea route going from various
places in the Mediterranean through the straits of Gibralter, up to Spain
and from there to southern England and Ireland.  If I remember correctly,
the coming of the Germanic tribes to England closed off that coast to the
traders in the sixth century but Ireland was still on the route until at
least the seventh century.

Philip Rusche

>> As far as I understand the trade route went overland. It seems natural
they
>> took the same route if they went to Britannia.
>> Tore
>
>well, even still, it can't be completely overland, can it?
>Britannia wasn't part of the mainland last I checked.
>I am interested as to where this trade route was,
>did it involve travelling through the Franks?
>
>Gendler.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details