[gothic-l] Re: Runic Influences

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jan 29 17:56:40 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >----------
> >>From: Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>

> >> As far as I understand the trade route went overland. It seems
natural they
> >> took the same route if they went to Britannia.
> >> Tore
> >
> >well, even still, it can't be completely overland, can it?
> >Britannia wasn't part of the mainland last I checked.
> >I am interested as to where this trade route was,
> >did it involve travelling through the Franks?
> >
> >Gendler.
>
> I qoutote
> American Early Medieval Studies 2
> Sutton Hoo: Fifty Years After
> Edited by Robert Farrell and Carol Neuman de Vegvar, 1992
>
> The Mediterranean Perspective
> David Whitehouse
>

> The principal routes by which Mediterranean objects reached the
other side
> of the North Sea and the English Channel were identified nearly
thirty
> years ago by Werner on the basis of the find-places of two types of
object;
> gold coins minted in the Mediterranean, especially those of
Theodoric
> (493-526) and Justinian (527-65),

Hi Tore,

Blackburn and Greason write in their book Early Medieval Coinage Vol.
1, that one interesting feature of British coin hoards of the dark
ages is the almost complete absense of any Ostrogothic coins in
Britain.

and bronze vessels. The
distribution of
> the coins and the vessels led Werner to identify a trade route from
Ravenna
> at the head of the Adriatic, through the Alps to the upper Rhine,
and
> thence westward to northern France and the North Sea. The evidence
suggests
> that the route may have been busiest in the second and third
quarters of
> the sixth century, the period of Justinian´s reconquest of Italy, of
the
> establishment of Ravenna as the seat of the Byzantine viceroy, and
of
> relatively intense diplomatic activity between the Byzantines and
the
> Franks. A second route followed the Rhone valley from Marseille to
central
> France and beyond.
> The crossing to Kent and other entry-points is unlikely to have been
the
> monopoly of any one group, although the Frisians are accorded pride
of
> place in the literature, thanks partly to Bede, who noted their
presence in
> London in 679. The importance of the Frisians is underlined by the
relative
> abundance of Byzantine gold coins in Frisland; P.C.J.A.Boeles lists
two
> coins of Justin I (518-27), eight of Justinian (527-65), two of
Justin II
> (565-78), three of Maurice Tiberius (582-602), two of Phocas
(602-10) and
> four of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine (c. 613/4-30 or later) -
more
> than from the whole of Francia.

When did this P.C.J.A. Boeles write? There have been by far more finds
of Byzantine gold coins in Francia than in Frisia. In fact, some
authors (Rigold) believes that an imperial mint continued to produce
solidi in Marseille in the 5th/7th centuries. I think the graves of
Frankish kings alone must have contained more solidi than those of
all Frisian finds together. Clodowig's grave  alone contained several
hundred solidi. In fact, the Franks had such a demand for large gold
denominations because of their distant trade that they minted them
themselves, long before the first Frisian or Anglo-Saxon solidi were
made.

cheers

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details