[gothic-l] Re: Runic Influences

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Tue Jan 30 03:00:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:

> >well, even still, it can't be completely overland, can it?
> >Britannia wasn't part of the mainland last I checked.
> >I am interested as to where this trade route was,
> >did it involve travelling through the Franks?
>
> Maybe the same route that Iordanes says the Heruls took
> when they went to Denmark?

Surely the question isn't whether there were routes which they may
have taken to Britain (since there certainly were), but whether there
is any evidence they did so.  So far I haven't seen any evidence at
all, just some statements that it's 'possible'.  It's also 'possible'
they went to China, but that doesn't mean it happened.

As several people have pointed out, there are a number of places much
closer to Italy where there were already Gothic populations or which
had been allies of the former Ostrogothic kingdom.  It makes far more
sense that the departing Ostrogothic warriors would have settled in
these areas than any speculation that they would have trekked for
weeks through foreign or even hostile territory, embark on ships
(what ships?) and sail to another completely foreign land which had
no links to Ostrogothic Italy at all.

If there was even a shred of evidence of any Ostrogothic contact with
Britain, let alone settlement there, then this 'possibility' would be
worth considering, but in the absence of any supporting evidence
surely this discussion is a little pointless.

Anyone for a 'Visigoths go to China' thread? ;>
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details