[gothic-l] Gothic influence

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Mon Jan 29 16:10:45 UTC 2001

Hello Tore,
you wrote:

> Furthermore the latest theories from the University of Uppsala is that the
> similar golden necklaces such as the one found at Vittinge in Västergötland
> also are made in Gotland. (Fornvännen 1996/1 Sagan om ringarna av Erik
> Nylén)
> Tore

I was under the impression Erik Nylén was professor at Gotlands Fornsal
and not the University of Uppsala and that his article in Fornvännen
presents his very personal wiew  of the origin of those rings. I do not
say he is wrong because it could well be the rings are made in
Scandinavia, but not nessecarily exactly on Gotland even it it is
possible. My point is rather that this article is not officially backed
by specially the university of Uppsala, but is part of the scientific
debate in Fornvännen out of a personal wiew from the excavator of the
Havor ring, leading to his incentive to try to analyse the origin also
of the other rings.I  had close contacts with the excavators in Vittene
during the ongoing excavation work and so I can verify those rings are
of the same character and type,  and that the art work is well fitted to
the Scandinavian tradition, but it is also undeniable that they are of
torques-type and so they might be influenced also by Celts as so many
other artefacts and pictures in Scandinavia. The ON religion is also
partly influenced from Celts, and hence this does not exclude the
possible Scandinavian manufacturing origin of these rings.

Kindly
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details