[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Tue Jan 30 23:28:54 UTC 2001

---  The last Gothic rebels fought on under a
> leader called Ragnaris, but surrendered, too, after their
> commander's death. Only those were sent off to Constantinople by
> Narses (Agathias, Histories, II 7), all the others, who did not
rebel
> or who had surrendered earlier like Aligern, were allowed to keep
> their possessions in Italy and to stay.

That far I have read Procopius, but he is not so exact you might be
sure there were no Goths going to Spain already before the rebellion.
What Ragnaris concerns I think he was of Allemannic or
possibly Northern  origin - in any case not an Ostrogoth.I tried to
make a closer examination of him but found I needed more sources.
Think of pursuing that thread some time in the future. What happened
to the last defeated Goths is also quite sparsely treated.Some may
have escaped before surrender in the between period. Maybe Agatias is
a better source then. I agree however that the main-body stayed in
Italy.

Kindly
Ingemar

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups