[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Gepids, Gaut

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Jul 2 21:27:48 UTC 2001

Francisc wrote:
>gudja "priest" is derived rather from guÞ "God" (the alternance Þ/d is
>frequent in Gothic, as well as in other old Germanic languages,
>depending on the accent position in Common Germanic according to
>Werner's law, but there is no t/d alternance in Gothic). Also from the
>semantic point of view, the derivation "priest" < "God" is more
>probable than "priest" < "Goth".

There is an interesting passage in Paulus Diaconus, where he
tells about the Langobards' old god Wotan. The interesting
thing is that the name is not written as "Wodan", there, but
rather as "Godan". Perhaps there is a relationship to the question
that is asked here ?   I though't I'd mention this, since it
seems to fit well together with the question that is asked.

Best regards
Keth