[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar, Got-, Gut-

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 5 13:29:20 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > I know of course that early German placenmames like Gotinga,
> Gutinge,
> > Gotaha etc. are not derived from the Gothic tribal name and stated
> so
> > earlier. I was just wandering what this syllabyl 'Got-, Gut-' may
> > represent and if it is a meaning that can also account for
> placenames
> > in Germanic areas outside Germany?
> >

> I think, that the root Got-, Gut- in German placenames could mean,
for
> instance, Gott "god", gut "good", or maybe also something else.
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

that is possible, if not likely. I also belief that such places may
derive their names from personal names like Godescalk/Gottschalk,
Gotlieb, - hard, -fried, etc. which in turn go back to the word
for god. Similar explanations should in my view also be investigated
for other placenames with Got-/God-/Gut-... etc. before attributing
them to the Goths.

cheers,