[gothic-l] Godheimar=the home of the Goths

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jul 5 19:32:06 UTC 2001

Well, Francisc, I can only quote professor
Pritsak and let his interpretation be included
among the many others.

"Snorri's epic source thus unkowingly preserves
the old geographic nomenclature from  Eastern
Europe disguised as a popular etymology, just as
the lay The Battle of the Goths and the Huns did. Godheimar
should not be understood as "god home" but as "the
home of the Goths". (p. 250, _The Origin of Rus_).

Gothically

Bertil

I hope that you did not missundertand me. When I referred to a
contamination between "God" and "Got", I did not mean that this
contamination is due to you or to Prof. Pritsak. I meant that this
contamination (or popular etymology) occured in the language of the
authors/propagators of the Old Norse sagas, that (in my view)
reinterpreted Got-thjod "Gothic people" as God-thjod "people of gods"
or "God's people".