[gothic-l] Hachmann

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sun Jul 8 23:24:03 UTC 2001

> Subject: Hachmann choose over Nordgren and Wolfram?
>
> Ingemar,
>
> This is all I have managed to find
> out on Hachmann. Noted you have him
> in you biblio in _Goterkaellan_. What
> would, if you still is on the Gothic-L,
> be your opinion on him. Would like
> to get a second opinion to a highly
> Norwegian praise of him.
>
> Best Gothic greetings
>
> Bertil

Hello Bertil,

As you can see of my answer to Keth I find Hachmann very valuable but
not without his faults. If you read the part treating his demographic
archaeology you will find I have argued some points very hard but still
mainly his results are correct. There is no talk of a major emigration
but of a number of smaller making a substantial number together. His
references to Strabo  as the first one   mentioning the Goths is also of
importance and I agree totally with  his remark that the mentioning by
Plinius of Pytheas places the first Continental Goths back to the 300's
BC.

Kindly
Ingemar