logic error: Gapt [gothic-l]

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Jul 9 21:41:59 UTC 2001

Anthanarik wrote:
>Jordanes was writing in Constantinople, was he not?  Is it possible that the
>original _Getica_ was written in Greek and later copied into Latin,

I have never seen any mentionings of an original Greek Getica.
In fact, Andreas Nordin (1997, page 22) writes: "Hur som hälst
er Jordanes en god representant for vulgärlatinet." He also has
several other remarks to the same effect, and nowhere do I see
Greek menitioned in connection witth his work. Do you mean that
upsilon can be mistaken for pi? It is however only Wulfila's "u"
that is closed at the top. The upsilon is open at the top, and
therefore is not similar to "pi".

Best regards
Keth