logic error: Gapt [gothic-l]

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 10 07:53:10 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> Something further to consider in evaluating Grimm's perspective on
> Gapt/Gaut:  Theodoric the Great is 15 generations away from "Gapt"
in the
> Amali geneology.  Some of the English geneologies trace back to
Geat, which
> is, as we know, cognate to Gaut (but not to Gapt).  The Wessex King
Cerdic
> died in 534, about a decade after Theodoric.  _Exactly 15_
generations
> behind Cerdic in the genealogy, we find Geat.  Coincidence?  No, it
seems
> more likely that both of these genealogies, which developed
independent from
> one another, are tracing back to the same Gaut/Geat.  Had the Amali
> genealogy truly had a Gapt rather than Gaut, we might expect the
English
> genalogies to trace back to a Geft of Gift, which they do not.
>
> Albareiks

Hi Albareiks and Keths,

I think that the names Gaut/Gaus and Gapt are typical pairs of gods
and analogous to the Vandalic gods Raus and Rapt (as reported by
Herwig Wolfram in 'Rom und die Germanen). Wolfram states that the name
Raus and Rapt mean wooden beam and wooden stave (rohr in German), i.e.
stand for the wooden images of Germanic gods.

Another Vandalic pair of gods is Ambri and Assi meaning 'Erle' and
'Esche', which are the names of two different kinds of trees. Wolfram
also stated that Gaut and Gapt belong to the Asen/Ansen gods. The name
Ase/Anse simply means wooden stave of which idols are made (related
to Ast in German?).  Germanic wooden idols have been found in such
pairs in sacrificial lakes near Eutin and at Oberdoorla in Thuringia.

cheers,