[gothic-l] Re: Old Nordic, Gothic and Old Gutnish

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 10 10:21:29 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> My personal opinion is that Old Gutnish may be the
> missing link. Not identical with Gothic but an
> East Scandinavian language that cannot be placed
> with the North Germanic languages.

Sorry, but I can not agree with you on this point.
Please look at my message no. 3988 to this list (subject: Gothic and
Gutnish numbers).
The numbers represent a basic subsystem of every language system, and
the comparison of numbers, especially of the basic ones (1-10) is very
 relevant for judging the relatedness of languages.
The Gutnish numbers are very clearly related to those of other North
Germanic languages and not closer to Gothic. If you look at them, you
will see that this is the only objective conclusion possible.
I am sure that this is the case also for other components of the basic
vocabulary.
The fact that Gutnish is phonetically more conservative does not mean
that it is closer related to Gothic. The closer relatedness of two
languages is proven not by common archaisms, but by common
innovations.
In fact, why is Gutnish regarded as closer to Gothic than other
Germanic languages? Mainly because, like Gothic, it preserves the
Common Germanic diphthongs "ai" and "au". But this is not sufficient
in order to affirm that Gutnish is the closest relative of Gothic.
Gothic preserves the "ai" and "au" because of its very early
attestation, at a time when these diphthongs were still preserved in
all Germanic languages. But in its subsequent evolution, Gothic
doesn't appear to be particularly conservative regarding the
diphthongs. In Crimean Gothic, ai > "e" or "ie", and au > "oe"
(whatever it represents, it's obvious that this "oe" is different from
"au").
In conclusion, the special relationship of Gutnish with Gothic appear
to me as being only a desiderate. But looking at the facts, I saw in
Gutnish a phonetically more conservative language that other North
Germanic languages, but that is clearly and closely related to the
other North Germanic languages and not closer to Gothic than German,
English, Danish, Swedish etc. (excepting the above mentioned phonetic
archaisms).

Francisc