[gothic-l] Re: Old Nordic, Gothic and Old Gutnish

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 10 14:02:54 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Francisc,
>
> Nobody claimed that the influx was so strong
> that it replaced Gutnish. After all, there is
> still Gutnish around, it does not differ very
> much from Old Gutnish, but definitely from
> Swedish and Danish.

And more definitely from Gothic, that's sure.
(Again, look at the numbers)

> BTW, what are the innovations in Gothic?

It's difficult to say now, whithout any source at hand.
As far as I remember, some of the innovations of Gothic are:
e > i excepting before r, h, hw
i > open e ("aí") before r, h, hw
u > open o ("aú") before r, h, hw
the dropping of final -a and -i
-jj- > -ddj- (like -ggj- in ALL North Germanic languages, not only
Gutnish)
-ww- > -ggw- (like in ALL North Germanic languages, not only Gutnish)
the reversion of the "grammatic change" in the conjugation of strong
verbs (sorry, I don't remember any example now). For this reason, the
conjugation of Gothic strong verbs appears more regular than, for
instance, in German.
the genitive plural in -e
z is preserved, and in final position z > s (in all West and North
Germanic languages, INCLUDING GUTNISH, z > r !!!).
More later, I have to go home to look in my books.

Francisc