[gothic-l] Gaut/Gapt (Tyr)

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jul 10 19:16:02 UTC 2001

Albareiks,

With intention I did not get into the other
aspects of "The Battle of the Goths and Huns".
The lay  is commented on by Professor Pritsak on around
40 pages.

My view is that Gaut is the likely god of the Goths
although we know very little of him. The *enguz
runic inscription might point to Ingr (Wolfram),
a predecessor of Frey and Balder. Also the name of Ermanaric
may have a connection to Irmin. Ingemar has an interesting
chapter on this, "Kulten av Gaut och goternas
religion - kultfoerbund? En hypotes" (The Cult of Gaut and
the Religion of the Goths - a Cultic Union? A Hypothesis),
pp. 115-121.

Your final comments make sense.

Gothically

Bertil