Mars =? Gaut/Gapt (Tyr)[gothic-l]/GUSI

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 11 16:09:07 UTC 2001

Hi Keth:

On your point:
>  question of the Goth's origin. In fact, Jordanis says
>  the Goths now introduced a new technology of archery
>  in the region they had entered. Here the question must be asked:
>  what kind of bowstrings were used before the Goths came?
>  (hair perhaps?).

My reading of this is that Jordanis has confused the Goths with the Getai, a
north Thracian tribe that had adopted Scythian culture and were therefore
practiced horse archers.  It was these Thracian Getai who resisted the
Persian invasion.  I believe  this is documented by Herodotus.

In the Getica, Jordanes has assumed that peoples mentioned by earlier
historians in the area later occupied by the Goths were also Goths.
Following the proper names and the events, it's pretty  easy to identify
Jordanes' "Goths" as Scythians, Thracians, Dacians, etc.

Rgds,

Steve O'Brien
Albury, Ontario