[gothic-l] Gothic

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 11 19:00:59 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

Recently I was acquainted with a fine encyclopedia,
that might be of interest to recent members of the list.
_The Germanic Languages_ (ed. Ekkehard Koenig and
Johan van der Auwera), Routledge: London, New York,
1994.

There is an introduction of Carol Henriksen and J. van der
Auwera, from which I take the liberty of providing a quote. The
section "Gothic and the Reconstruction of Proto-Germanic"
is written by Winfred P. Lehmann.

"East Germanic

The first of the Germanic tribes to migrate from the Danish Isles
and southern Sweden were the Goths, who presumably
departed from the Common Germanic area around 100 BC.
After crossing the Baltic they were joined by the Rugians,
the Vandals and the Burgundians.. Toegether these tribe
constitute the eastern Branch of Germanic known to us
primarily from biblical translations from around A.D. 350. These
translations, the majority of which have been attributed to
Wulfila, the Bishop of the Western Goths, were undertaken
after the Goths had settled on the Black Sea and become
Christians."

Gothically

Bertil