[gothic-l] Gaut/Gapt

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 11 20:02:09 UTC 2001

Keth,

Must have missed that.

Answer to question two: No.

Gaut is of most interest because it is
connected to the Goths, Gauts and goetar.
That also happens to be of primary
interest on this list. Not so long ago Gaut
was more or less unknown on Gothic-L
Now, thanks a great deal to Ingemar, he is the
center of a detailed discussion. Bravo !

Check out 2nd ed. of Hoops and you will
learn more. Just gave an outline but it sounds
very convincing to me.

Hoops 2nd ed. does not mention Gapt in
connection with the Gepids. The article on the
Gepids in Hoops 2nd ed does mention various
alternatives to Gepidae:

Gipedae
Gipidae
Gifdas
Zibido
Zivido
Zebadasco
Zebedossi
Ghevio
Ghibio
gibede
*Gibidoz

"Was die heute zu benutzende Namensform angeht,
so waeren die nhd. Formen Gibider oder Gibiden
am korrektesten: der Ton liegt auf der ersten Silbe."

Is there still an argument for Gapt and the Gibiden?

Gothically

Bertil