[gothic-l] Re: Gothic

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 12 09:40:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Esteemed listmembers,
>
> Nothing underneath is provided to show why Lehmann is
> outdated. Only his age is held against him. To more
> effectively discourage from using _The Germanic Languages_
> as a research tool one might expect a presentation what it is
> more in detail in the Lehmann contribution that is "out of date"?

I am not arguing against the book 'The Germanic languages' as such,
and I am not saying that it is outdated in its linguistic analysis.
But Lehmann has in his introductory remarks about Germanic migrations
(which is not his field of speciallity) obviously relied on old
literature and indeed on one of his own 1940s articles. So his remarks
that Vandals, Goths etc. came from the Danish isles and Sweden is not
to be seen as the result of new research as the inclusion of this
statement into a 1990s book might suggest, but simply the
reprodutciton of 1940s (outdated) knowledge, which unfortunately
happens quite frequently, but could have been prevented had he
used modern research findings.

cheers,

Dirk

> Winfred P Lehmann is an American linguist born in 1916. He had used
> this introductory remarks already in an article published by him in
> the 1940s. Like Pritsak, he seemed to have relied mostly on old
> and outdated literature, without noticing that the field had moved
on.