[gothic-l] Gothic

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jul 12 12:33:42 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

It seems the contributor underneath wants to claim that research
on the Goths was only carried out in the 1940s. But
view the selected bibliography underneath. Research has been going on
also before WWII:

Ambrosiani, S _Odinskultens haerkomst_, Stockholm
Arbman, H, _Zur Kenntnis der aeltesten Eisenzeit in Schweden_,
Copenhagen 1934.
Professor Sophus Bugge's works in Norway at the beginning
of last century.
Detlefsen, D., _Die Entdeckung des germanischen Nordens im
Altertum, Berlin 1904-09.
Eusebius/Loeb, _Ecclesiastical History_,1926
Feist, _Etymologisches Woerterbuch der gotischen Sprache_, Halle 1923
von Friesen O., ´"Har det nordiska kungadoemet sakralt ursprung",
essay 1932, Uppsala
Hald, _Danske Stednavn_, Copenhagen, from 1922
Hoefler, O, _Kultische Geheimbuende der Germanen, Frankfurt/M, 1934
Isidor von Sevilla/Th Mommsen, 1894
Läffler, I F, "Om de östskandinaviska folknamnen hos Jordanes", Essay, 1894,
Stockholm
Hoops First Edition, 1915
Nerman, B., _Die Herkunft und die fruehesten Auswanderung der Germanen_,
Stockholm 1924
Schmidt, L., _Geschichte der germanischen Fruehzeit_, 1925/34
Svensson, J V, "De nordiska folkstammarna hos Jordanes_, Essay 1917,'
Uppsala
Vasiliev, _The Goths in Crimea_, Cambridge, MA, 1936
Wessén, E., _De nordiska folkstammarna hos Beowulf_, Stockholm, 1927
Wrede, F., _Ueber die sprache der Ostgoten in Italien_, Strassburg 1891

Not only is the claim that everything was done in the 1940s. Now also
Professor Omeljan Pritsak (1989) is outdated.

The conclusion seems to be: All research on the Goths was made in the 1940s.
It is outdated but also all material until 1989 is outdated (unless only Pritsak
is outdated, but other material is not ). Everything written from 1900s to the
1930s cannot in my view be discarded. Also 19th century literature has a value today.

Personally I think listmembers are quite qualified to choose literature on
the Goths from the 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s,
1970s, 1980s, 1990s and after.

Gothically

Bertil

I am not arguing against the book 'The Germanic languages' as such,
and I am not saying that it is outdated in its linguistic analysis.
But Lehmann has in his introductory remarks about Germanic migrations
(which is not his field of speciallity) obviously relied on old
literature and indeed on one of his own 1940s articles. So his remarks
that Vandals, Goths etc. came from the Danish isles and Sweden is not
to be seen as the result of new research as the inclusion of this
statement into a 1990s book might suggest, but simply the
reprodutciton of 1940s (outdated) knowledge, which unfortunately
happens quite frequently, but could have been prevented had he
used modern research findings.