SV: [gothic-l] Gothic

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jul 13 17:14:05 UTC 2001

Keth,

Thank you for your view on the text provided
in the encyclopedia on Germanic Languages
of the publishers Routledge.

The extensive linguistic expertise which is standing
behind the encyclopedia (I noted that no Swede was
included, and as matter of fact, I was´nt  surprised).

"Gradually" does not necessarily imply a long
period. How fast is fast?

Yes, this would be in agreement with Hoops 2nd ed.
which acknowledge that the earliest "pure" (echt
germ.) writing can be found around 200 AD in Denmark.
The origin of inscriptions in the old futhark are mainly
found on Scandinavian runestones with of the Germanic
language culture being mainly oral.

Gothically

Bertil