[gothic-l] Re: Paulus Diaconus and Jordanes

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 13 18:35:30 UTC 2001

Dear Andreas Scwarcz,
I'd like to thank you for this good tip, which no doubt
reflects my fumbling attemts to use the Latin sources.
I will try to read the foreword, but (!) it is 48
pages and all in Latin. Your suggestion is however well
taken, and I will try to do a quick reading to see what it
says about the Getica. As of yet, I do not know what the best
standard literary history to consult is. A search gives
G. Gröber: Übers. usw.; M. Manitius: Gesch. usw.; K. von See:
Neues Handb.; E.R. Curtius: Europ.Lit. u. lat. MA. The
latter is from 1993, but that doesn't necessarily mean it
is the best. I am not familiar with any of these. Occasionally
I have however consulted Kindler's Literaturlexicon which they
have in  the library. Do you have any work you would recommend
in particular for general use ? If you do, I should be most
grateful for any tips!

Best regards
Keth