[gothic-l] Re: Gaut/Gapt

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Jul 15 22:32:41 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:

> That thought also occurred to me. But I rejected it as
> too hypothetical. There are things that speak against a
> one-to-one graphemic mapping between Wulfilas Gothic, and Jordanes
> transcription of Gothic names into Latin. But of course, it
> *can have been "Gaut". But when people quote Jordanes as if
> he actually *wrote* "Gaut" in §79, then that I find dishonest.
> But the "au" is apparently not impossible in Gothic, since
> Jordanes himself writes "Gautigoth" with "au" in Getica §22.
> An example of a word close to gaft is gafeteins = clothing.
>
> Best regards
> Keth

I have a further problem of the same kind. If Gaut and Goth was the
same name in two versions, why did he call one of the Gothic people
Gautigoths? Had the Ostrogoths really forgotten that they had been
Gauts - if they had?

Troels