[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes.

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Jul 16 13:57:29 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> Can I ask who these people of Odin where? The name Odin is just a
> derivation from Wodan as I understand. Is there also an indication
> that Wodan came from the south?

> I think this god Njord is sometimes also identified with the
Germanic god Nerthus. .......

> A depiction of a Celtic god in the Celtic princely grave of
Glauberg
> (500BC) shows a one-eyed god with two ravens. An early depiction of
> Wodan/Odin? or simply a sign that certain images travelled between
> cultures and the characteristics of a god of one culture were used
to  embellished the god of another culture?

> cheers,
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk

I am glad to see you have got the same general impression as I have.
Several images and names of gods were spread all over Europe being
picked up by different people and cultures in different shapes.

I further believe, that one group were agriculturists dependent of
the weather worshipping primarily the sun and fertility - often with
the dark side of the nature as a twin. The other - and maybe younger -
 group were nomads (often cattleholders), warriors and maybe
tradesmen dependent of success in war, strong leadership and short
term values worshipping primarily an ancestor in shape of a creator
or warriorgod in order to strengthen the power of the kingship and
willingness to die in battle. The majority were probably combinations
of these two types.

Some of the elements were quite ordinary and could easily be
developed as independent parallels, some elements were borroughed as
the one eyed figure with two ravens you are dating to a time where
Wothan should not exist, and some elements were simply a part of
their ancestral history - especially in the second group (nomads and
migration people).

Maybe Dumizel is right, but sometimes I think he is trying to find
systematical IE-connections in every natural development.

I know you asked Anders - but if we agree so far in principle, I will
describe my version of Odin/Njord when I get time later using the
above "structure" - without leaving the topic of this list.

Troels