[gothic-l] Re: Did the Gothic fleet operate on the Rhine?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jul 16 14:42:48 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2001, at 10:05, dirk at s... wrote:
>
> > Hello all!
> >
> > Wolfram said in 'The Goths' (p.190) that before 475 the Salian
Franks
> > had attacked the kingdoms of the Heruls, Varni and Thuringians on
the
> > Rhine, but were beaten back by a Gothic fleet. This is mentioned
in
> > the context of Visigothic policies to strengthen small kingdoms
like
> > the Heruls, Varni and Thuringians in the rear of the Franks to
weaken
> > the threat that they posed. Wolfram explained that the Atlantic
fleet
> > of the Visigoths stood under experienced Roman comanders and had
> > operated with success at long distances also against the Saxons,
but
> > is that really  to mean that they should have sailed down the
Rhine to
> > fight of the Salian Franks in order to support the Heruls, Varni
and
> > Thuringian allies on the lower Rhine?
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk
> >
> Dear Dirk,
> I think Wolfram overinterprets here two letters of Apollinaris
> Sidonius (VIII 3,3 and VIII 9, 5, not 8.5, as Wolfram has it). There
> was a Roman fleet led by Roman officers under the command of
> Euric, and it fought successfully against Saxon pirates on the
> Atlantic coast  south of the Loire, but all that Sidonius tells us
> about the Franks and Heruls is that they came as supplicants to
> Euric´s court. He does not give us  any naval enterprise of a Gothic
> fleet entering the Channel to fight a Frankish fleet there. Here one
> takes better the more restricted interpretation of Emilienne
> Demougeot, Formation de l'Europe vol.2/2, pp.641 f.
>
> Kind regards
>                       Andreas
> Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
> Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
> Universität Wien
> Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
> A-1010 Wien
> Österreich
> Tel.0043/1/42-77/272-16
> Fax 0043/142-77/92-72

Dear Andreas,

without intimate knowledge of the sources, I find the more cautious
interpretation that you suggested more plausible. I also found it hard
to imagine that a Gothic fleet from Spain could have sailed 100rds of
miles and than along the Rhine-mouth in order to repell a Frankish
attack on the Heruls and Varni. I suppose that Euric was interested in
 strengthening the small 'kingdoms' of the Heruls and Varni on the
Rhine to divert some of the Frankish military power away from the
Frankish/Gothic borders, but this could hardly have amounted to direct
military support I suppose.

cheers,