[gothic-l] Re: Gothic (oldest attestation of Germanic)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 16 17:01:56 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> "The modest beginnings of this evolution seem to be found
> in the southern Baltic region (northern Germany, the Danish
> Isles, southern Scandinavia) which according to accepted
> opinion had been settled by speakers of Indo-European
> around 1000 BC. They encountered speakers of non-Indo-
> European origin, gradually changed their Proto-Indo-European
> into Proto-Germanic, and dispersed beyond the original homeland
> to occupy the region from the North Sea stretching to the
> River Vistula in Poland by 500 BC. The languages spoken during this
> period is only attested indirectly, in the foreign words, usually
> proper names, used by Greek and Latin authors, and in early
> loans in neighbouring and co-territorial languages, especially
> Finno-Ugric and Baltic. The earliest direct records are
> Scandinavian runic inscriptions from the beginning of the
> third century."

But I knew that the oldest known attestation of Germanic is the
inscription in Etrusc alphabet "harigasti teiwa" (1st century BC) on a
helmet found in Austria. Or maybe my information is wrong?

Francisc