[gothic-l] Traditions of origin - Gaut/Geat/Gaus(us)

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 18 04:51:49 UTC 2001

Keth,

The quote from Hoops underneath does not claim
that the word Gaut is used in _Beowulf_. It merely
mentions a Gautic-Swedish influence in England.
That could have had several forms such as the
one you mention. But are suggesting that
the Gauts came from Denmark?

Just also wanted to know if you have any other
sources on Gaut you would like to mention
here, besides de Vries. I am trying to do a
bibliography of what sources I have been able
to find. Of course Ingemars book _Goterkaellan_
will be included as it mentions Gaut in many places
and discusses Gaut extensively.

Have you had an opportunity to look at the homepage
of Hoops Reallexikon? This is a huge undertaking,
just as the first edition was and it is not only quite a
timeconsuming job to translate and put all the text on
Gaut and the Goetar on the list but there could be a risk
that some nuance is lost in a translation.  I hope you have an
opportunity to study the Gaut and Goetar articles
in this work. I don't know how far from the university
library in Stavanger you are but the distance cannot be
that great. And I cannot imagine a copy of Hoops 2nd ed
not being there.

One member of the list wrote to me suggesting I put
all the text on the list, but I think he might not have
known the size of the articles and the Hoops encyclopedia,
thinking it was only a one volume thing with each entry
a few, maybe ten lines. With the Professor Andersson
article in _Namn och Bygd_ it would be over 50 pages
of text.

It is a pity that the questions we discuss with such intensity
are not of such general interest that the publishe of
Hoops could put all so far published articles online for free.
It would, no doubt, increase interest in the stuy of Germanic
society including the Goths. But I guess it is a matter of
costs and the fear that the publishers will lose sales income
on the printed edition.

Gothically

Bertil