[gothic-l] Dirk's dangerous amateurs

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 19 00:30:59 UTC 2001

Dirk wrote:

>It is always good to read the original, but as non-historian I am not
>qualified to interpret the original unfortunately. In fact, I think
>there is nothing more harmful that non-professionals trying to
>interpret historical sources and draw conclusions from text that they
>are unable to put in the right historical context.

Dirk, are you a catholic?
This sounds exactly like the old catholic attitude that the
scripture was only for the priests who had learned to read
it correctly. The uneducated were then given different,
"easier" books to read.

Protestants have the opposite attitude, where everyone is
a Bible reader and his own interpreter.

Personally I think it much more fun to read the original
books, if the language doesn't stop me. I think they
were also written for anybody who could read them.

Maybe we make many mistakes in places like this, and maybe
there are too few teachers who can teach us. But the worst
kind are those who do not recognize the good teachers and
are unwilling to receive teaching from those who know.

God forbid we become like that. Let us periodically shift
our viewpoints and try to look at things from other
points of view. That is the best schooling.

Best regards
Keth