[gothic-l] To Dirk and Tore

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Wed Jul 18 23:32:11 UTC 2001

>I don't think it's impossible that the germanic words gud,gott,god
>etc. could be from the god Gaut which was worshipped by many germanic
>tribes. Ingemar Nordgen even writes that this god's name could be
>pronounced in a number of variants. eg one with a soft d  close to a
>lisp-sound.

 A common Germanic word springing from a different root than *Gautaz, but
which nevertheless seems as though it might in some way have originally been
associated
with *Gautaz, even if only metaphysically or through ancient folk etymology,
is the word
for a higher, divine and worshipful being, “god;” Goth guð, AS, OS, OFris
god, OHG cot,
O Norse goð; Swed, Dan gud, MHG god.  Originally, the Germanic forms of this
word
derrive from PIE *gheu, and from it forms gydig, NE giddy, “insane,
possessed by a god."  Note that *Gautaz derrives from *gheu, suggesting the
possibilty of an original connection between the words Gaut and god.

>Dirk, I assumed you wanted a good explanation of the name Odin in
>semitic. I'm not really certain (of course!). But my fabulation
>is ... as it is pronounced in hebrew it means Waw Dalet-yod-
>nun "(and) he governs "

Odin and the runes most obviously have nothing to do with semetic.

Albareiks