[gothic-l] Lemon tree leaf

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jul 19 06:01:39 UTC 2001

Keth,

Am sorry but sometimes I lose you in the
text masses but my Latin ´dictionary places
"citrustraed" as a first alternative where thuia
Orientalis is a second choice only. As a second
alternative late Latin is given, which
would, I guess, be the Jordanes case, with
lemon tree as only alternative but citrus medica.

So I don't really understand all the fuss abút thuia,
as onviously there is no real case for that option
as a meaning in _Getica_.

All the later stuff in _Getica_ referring obviously to the
northern part of the Scandinavian peninsula could
be a different location although it is formally
under the Scandza island heading.

Everything is relative and Gutland isn't exactly
a small island.

Gothically

Bertil

For us I think the citrus leave, like the leaf that sometimes comes with a
lemon fruit is the easiest reading. The more difficult reading is the tuja,
because
most people are not sure what a roman tuja leaf looks like.