[gothic-l] Re: Dirk's dangerous amateurs

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 19 07:29:58 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk!
I don't want to sound biased. everything has its pros and cons.
protestantism was supposed to be pure faith, and yet protestantism
seems to have become a bastion of rationalism.

>> This sounds exactly like the old catholic attitude that the
>> scripture was only for the priests who had learned to read
>> it correctly. The uneducated were then given different,
>> "easier" books to read.
>>
>> Protestants have the opposite attitude, where everyone is
>> a Bible reader and his own interpreter.
>

>I am a protestant!
>

>> Personally I think it much more fun to read the original
>> books, if the language doesn't stop me. I think they
>> were also written for anybody who could read them.
>

>I think it is fun too and there is nothing 'dangerous' about reading
>those texts. Putting those text into the right historical context and
>applying the right philological methods, however, requires
>considerable skill. In the past people tended to read ancient authors
>as rendering complete and true historical accounts at least where it
>fitted their pre-concerived theories. Only rigorous analysis, applying
> philological methods and a sound understanding of the historical
>setting can reveal the historical truth in those accounts. At least
>that is my opinion.

i am glad you say it's not dangerous.
but such philological methods have to be known as available too
if you know what to look for, you are almost half way.
schools are becoming so bad these days because they let almost
everybody pass. advanced material is very hard to teach because
the students hardly remember the basics any more. therefore
self study is the only way to achieve quality. but from time to
time it is important to compare notes for the students.
they should be able to compare themselves with the others
so that they know where they stand.

>> Maybe we make many mistakes in places like this, and maybe
>> there are too few teachers who can teach us. But the worst
>> kind are those who do not recognize the good teachers and
>> are unwilling to receive teaching from those who know.
>

>I totally agree!
>

>> God forbid we become like that. Let us periodically shift
>> our viewpoints and try to look at things from other
>> points of view. That is the best schooling.
>

>Complete agreement here as well and may I add, let us be tolerant to
>the view points of other people.

tolerant, i agree. but it has to make sense too;
otherwise there is nothing to discuss.

understanding causes are more important than memorizing "the right answer".

Best regards
Keth