[gothic-l] Re: Runes and Wulfila's alphabet

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 19 07:22:58 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> I do not have the answer here. But I find I am learning
> things by looking at them and trying to find a solution.
> What I reacted against was Looijenga's opinion that
> the Illerup inscriptions were W.Gmc., because to me
> they _sound_ so Nordic. In particular I focussed on
> the -ij- cluster that is _very_ distinct in wagnijo.
> (very clear ISA-JERA group). Now that i've done
> some more reading, I see that it can probably be seen
> as a kind of suffix. The root is clearly wagn-

The same suffix is found in "holtijaR" (of the famous
Proto-Nordic runic inscription on the golden horn of Gallehus: ek
hlewagastiR holtijaR horna tawido). I found two interpretations of
this word by different authors: "of (from) Holt (=Holstein?)" or "son
of Holtes". Annyway, -ij- appears to be here derivative suffix,
forming adjectives from nouns.

Francisc